Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Allows Consumers to Discharge Debt
Alexandria bankruptcy attorney helps individuals seeking relief
Sometimes situations beyond your control can profoundly impact your earning potential and lead to overwhelming debt. If you find yourself unable to pay your bills, you may want to consider filing for bankruptcy. Designed to give debtors a fresh start, Chapter 7 bankruptcy gives you and your spouse relief from debts through liquidation of your assets. Once you have filed for bankruptcy, creditors must immediately stop collections efforts, including harassing letters and phone calls.
Means test for eligible debtors
To qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy relief, you must satisfy the court’s means test, which calculates your income and expenses compared to the median income in Virginia. If you are not eligible for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, Chapter 13 may be available. The Baumann Firm can help you determine whether you are eligible for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and if it is your best solution for dealing with your debts.
Discharge of some, but not all, debt
I can help you determine which of your assets are eligible for exemption and negotiate with the trustee to preserve these assets from bankruptcy liquidation. Upon conclusion of the bankruptcy proceedings, the court grants a discharge of your debts. Certain debts, however, cannot be discharged through bankruptcy. These include back child support and alimony payments, student loans, recent back taxes, and court judgments based on personal injury claims. I advise you about how much of your debt is dischargeable, so you can make an informed decision about whether to pursue Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Preparing for your appointment
So that I can immediately begin analyzing your case, it is necessary that you bring certain information to your appointment with me, including:
- A list of your creditors’ names, amount of each claim and nature of the debt
- Your employer’s name and your gross and net income
- Other sources of income and amounts
- A list of what you own and estimates of the value of each item
- A list of your monthly bills and details of each expense
Contact an experienced bankruptcy attorney in Virginia
Virginia Civil Litigation Attorneys Get Results for Clients
Resolving disputes for businesses and individuals
When legal disputes disrupt your business or personal life, having a committed, knowledgeable attorney to zealously advocate on your behalf brings comfort and peace of mind. The Baumann Firm represents Virginia businesses, families and individuals in litigation, arbitration and mediation. We can help you with all types of general civil litigation in state and federal courts, including:
- Business litigation
- Breach of contracts
- Property damage
- Personal injury claims
- Insurance claims
- Construction litigation
- Consumer litigation
- Products liability
- Product defects
Put a strong, determined litigator to work for you
We know your time is valuable. That is why we stress efficiency throughout the process of resolving your disputes. We offer our clients:
- Individual attention — When you retain our firm, you receive the care, time, and attention you deserve.
- A more cost-efficient model — We constantly seek ways to cut your costs while maintaining the high level of legal services you expect and deserve.
- Integrity — Our trial attorneys provide you with straightforward, honest answers to all of your questions and ensure you fully understand the litigation process and what to expect as your case moves forward. Our clients rely on us to help them set realistic expectations.
- A focus on success — We always have your best interest in mind. If protracted litigation is the only solution to achieve the proper outcome, we are ready. If settling your case early on will achieve the best result, we will take the time to explain why we believe it is in your best interest to settle instead of engaging in lengthy litigation.
Ready for trial
Our attorneys have the determination, tenacity, and skill required to successfully litigate your case when litigation provides the best means of resolving your legal issues. Our professional courtroom demeanor and meticulous preparation gives us an edge as an assertive, strategic advocate.